Sharon-Approved Nutrition: Oktober Fest Stew
Cooler weather means easy-cooking soups and stews, which I love! This deconstructed take on sausage and peppers is almost unbelievably easy, and can be made crockpot in 2 hours if you're pressed for time! The recipe is gluten free, rich in protein and whole grains, and tastes like Oktoberfest to me!
- 14 oz. low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup buckwheat or quinoa (a gluten-free grain you like!), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced thin (can omit!)
- 2 12 oz. pkg cooked Italian chicken sausage (I like Bilinski's! GF, no added sugar, no nitrates/nitrites)
- In a 4-5 quart slow cooker, combine broth, grain (quinoa or buckwheat), vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add sweet peppers, onion, and sausage.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4-5 hours or high heat for 2-2.5 hours.