Vegan Alfredo for two, tossed in a delicious cashew cream, with sauteed mushrooms, Meyer lemon zest and plenty more that gives this dish extra flavor and depth.
- Vegan Alfredo Sauce:
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 fat garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 cup veggie broth (or 1 cup water and bullion)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 ounces dry pasta, cooked to package directions (use gluten free pasta if you are following a gluten free diet)
- 1 cup fresh peas (or frozen, or sub snow peas or steamed broccoli)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sautéed, or try smoked mushrooms!
- pepper, chili flakes, lemon zest, Italian parsley
Shop Bone & Mineral Support
- Cook Pasta: Set salted water to boil in a large pot and cook pasta according to directions. If using fresh or frozen peas, feel free to add to the pasta water, during the last minute of cooking.
- Make Alfredo Sauce: Heat oil over medium low heat, and sauté onion and garlic until tender and golden. Place it in a blender along with cashews, veggie broth, nutritional yeast, miso, salt, nutmeg. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Sauté or smoke the mushrooms. If sautéing, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté 6-7 minutes, until golden and tender, seasoning with salt.
- Combine: Drain the pasta, add to a large pan along with the alfredo sauce, toss, and gently warm over low heat. Add the mushrooms and toss to coat (leaving a few for the top for garnish if you like).
- Divide among two bowls.
- Garnish with lemon zest, pepper, chili flakes and chopped parsley.