Sharon-Approved Nutrition: New Year's Soup Recipe
This is a hearty, filling soup with nice healthy greens, good fiber, and protein all in one dish. Make it vegan without the sausages and by using veggie broth or feel free to add the sausage if you'd like an extra protein and flavor punch! You can make more servings out of this by adding more broth. This the Perfect recipe to start off your year with a bang!
Per Serving (with added sausage):
242 Calories, 5 g fat (1 g Saturated), 15 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 9 g fiber
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots or parsnips cut into rounds
- 1 bunch collard greens, stems removed
- 3 cups (or roughly 2 cans, no salt-added) black eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1T dried)
- 4-6 cups vegetable or chicken stock (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or Coconut secret vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Optional: 2 Turkey or chicken Italian sausages – fully cooked, gluten free, organic, no nitrites or added sugar etc. Bilinski’s and Aidell’s make good options!
- In soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil 3 minutes or until soft; add carrots or parsnips and sauté 3 more minutes
- Chop or rip collard greens into bite-size pieces and add to pot along with black eyed peas (drained) and oregano. Add stock, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, remove turkey or chicken sausage from casing and set aside sausage crumbles. Add to soup, along with vinegar of choice (not balsamic) and seasoning to taste. Simmer 5 more minutes, and serve!